New entry requirement now in effect!
Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. The Government of Canada's official website to apply for an eTA. It only costs $7 CAD. Most eTA applications are approved within minutes of applying.
- is an entry requirement for travellers from visa-exempt countries who fly to or transit through Canada,
- is valid for up to five years or until the passport you used to apply for your eTA expires, and
- allows you to travel to Canada many times, and stay for up to six months (the border officer will tell you how long you can stay).
Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA. Starting November 10 2016, you will need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada.
Be prepared: Apply for an eTA before you book your flight to Canada. Most applicants get approved within minutes. However, some applications can take several days to process so don’t wait until the last minute.
Find answers to questions about applying for an eTA.
Canadian Visa Documentation and Requirements from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
DO YOU NEED A TRAVEL VISA FOR CANADA?
YES! Review the process below and apply soon. Visa processing time varies depending on your home country, from 4 to 99 days. Check for more information from CIC here.
Some countries requiring a Canadian temporary resident’s visa may experience difficulties during the application process. To avoid unexpected delays, a key component of the application will be strong proof that you WILL return home for personal reasons such as work, family etc.
APPLY FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE VISA AS A VISITOR, NOT A STUDENT OR WORKING VISA.
NO! You can skip the rest of the process below, but you still need:
• A valid passport issued from a country that does not require travel visas for Canada.
• Your return airline ticket.
• Address while in Edmonton / Canada – hotel or residence.
WHAT DOCUMENTS DO YOU NEED TO APPLY FOR A VISA?
1. Valid Passport: there must be at least one blank page including the last page, and the expiry date of the passport must be more than six months after the date of departure from Canada.
2. A letter from the host National Federation, Triathlon Canada in this case. This letter is to officially invite athletes, coaches (and other members of the athlete’s entourage) to the 2016 ITU World Triathlon Edmonton. Before requesting the letter from Triathlon Canada, please gather the following information FOR EACH person who requires a visa.
- Name on passport
- Passport Number
- Date of birth
- Date Passport was issued
- Date Passport expires
- Arrival date in Canada
- Departure date from Canada
- Name of Hotel or residence during stay in Canada
Send this information to athlete services at ITU World Triathlon Edmonton at email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. A letter from your government or national authority: A letter from the visa applicants’ National Federation, National Olympic Committee or National Sport Council is required. This letter should state the role of each person applying for a visa while in Canada (athlete, coach, Congress Delegate, etc.) It should also state that the applicants will be returning to their own country after their stay in Canada.
4. Proof of Departure from Canada: Put together documentation for the immigration officer that you have ties to your home country and that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit. (Employment, family etc.). CIC want evidence of your economic and social ties to your home country.
• Social Ties: husband/wife, kids who are in your home country – family commitments. (CIC is concerned about single people who do not have strong ties in their own country.)
• Economic Ties - Income Level: Does the applicant have enough money to support themselves? Employment. Does the individual have employment in the home country, if yes, a letter from employer stating their position, wage and their job being held upon their return.
5. Health: Proof of good health may be required. If asked, you should be able to prove you are in good health. A medical certificate from a professional medical doctor in your region may be required.
6. Sufficient money to cover expenses for the duration of time in Canada: The amount of money you need will depend on how long you will stay and where you will stay i.e. with friends or relatives.
“ALL INDIVIDUALS MUST PROVE TO THE CIC THAT THEY HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES IN THEIR HOME COUNTRIES AND FOR THESE OBVIOUS REASONS, THEY WILL BE RETURNING HOME.”
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE TO APPLY ONLINE? Click here
To apply online you must have:
• Access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents to upload
• A valid credit card for payment.
DO YOU NEED TO PROVIDE BIOMETRICS (fingerprints, photograph)?
Several countries need to provide biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when they apply for a visa.
If you need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph), and you are applying on paper, do not mail in your application. Submit your application in person to the visa application centre (VAC) nearest you. VAC staff will check that your application is complete and will confirm that you have paid the correct fees before you can give your biometrics. If you are applying from within the United States, submit your application online.
DO YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION? Here are some useful web links:
• Do you need a visa? click here:
• Do you need application forms? click here:
• What is the expected processing time for my country? click here:
• If I need a medical certificate, where can I find a panel doctor: click here
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com